Thursday, April 23, 2015

My Cork Board Project




For years I've collected corks...

...hasn't everyone?

And, for years, I've wanted to do something with them...
...hasn't everyone?

So, I finally bought one.

Inside measurements: 21" x 22"
Side by side that's about 26 corks

I ran thread corner to corner
both ways to use as a guide
and was reminded that not
all corks are created equal.

 I laid out a couple of
patterns before gluing.


When satisfied, I began
gluing each cork
i
ndividually into place.
357 corks were used.

This was my first attempt but
it didn't impress me.

This is the final pattern; aligned and symmetrical
but there was more to do.


I was not satisfied with the open spaces
around the perimeter. So, with the left over
corks, it was time to cut and fit small
pieces into those spaces.




Yes, you can do this when you have
a lot of time of your hands.  Hey,
don't knock retirement.




A last minute check
for alignment.

 



You can reflect on a lot of good
memories while looking at a wine cork.
 

Yes, this is what I wanted.



The final product and a lot of fond memories



  

~~ Robert Mondavi


5 comments:

  1. I love it, and the design. As I was reading your post I wondered whether some corks brought back memories. I know some do for me, as well. Great project and a wonderful addition to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Charlie. Wonderful craftsmanship and beautiful work of art. All of a sudden, I'm pretty thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I get my artistic side from my poppa <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Charlie with the corks.
    Your grand daughter has a real natural talent.
    How do I chnge the way I've listed my name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just seeing this now. OK, I too wondered what memories might be attached to each one of the corks. I guess great meals, great friends as you said, great conversation and great vintage! What skill, labor and thought that went into this project. I had no idea but, you know what really surprised me, I am ashamed to say I never noticed the graphics on the corks. I never knew they were so pretty and interesting. A whole other world. I know that for the rest of my years I'll be saying save that cork every time I hear one pop - and thinking of you!!! S

    ReplyDelete