Day 7 8/22/17
| A good-bye to a beautiful state park and the memorable event that went with it; very fortunate to have witnessed it. |
| Site 28 at Travelers Rest KOA |
![]() |
| Love this campground; They remembered me from last year and gave me the same Site 28. |
Warning for some readers. There's a photo and description of a Rabid Wolf Spider that I saw on my site. I've put the photo and it's description at the end of the blog just before the Comments section.
I'm on my way back to New York. Six more days and I'm back at Croton Point Park but first I'm stopping over in Travelers Rest two days. Tonight I'll dine with friends, Marsha and Tim. The twenty minute trip from Table Rock State Park allowed me some extra time before checking into Travelers Rest/N. Greenville KOA to do what I've wanted to do for awhile: stop at a roadside produce stand and enjoy some local produce. I picked up 4 ears of corn for $1.00, cherries, homemade style red raspberry jam made by The Dutch Kettle in Hamptonville, NC and two peaches the size of softballs.
| Biggest peach I've ever seen. No, the cherry is for comparison; it didn't come attached. |
| Acoustically noisy because of its farmhouse construction but the place was crowded for a Tuesday evening. |
The food was delicious. Started off with a draft of pale ale:
I tried their "Farmhouse Buttermilk Fried Chicken with honey jalapeno creme." My two sides included "Plantation Rice" with parsley, butter with a light stock and Jalapeno Mac 'N Cheese. Perfect sized portions but, as usual, the downfall was the chips and salsa dip presented immediately after giving drink orders. They were the very light, thin tortilla chips and dipping salsa that had just the right amount of heat. Result? My third piece of chicken and a taco shell came home with me for lunch tomorrow. Click on the link above to view their other offerings.
To top off the evening, a trip to Pink Mama's Ice Cream store and (my favorite), a cup of two-scoops butter pecan; rich, smooth and loaded with roasted pecans. And that was that for the first day's stay.
Met a very friendly couple from Florida camping three sites down the road, Rick and Jan. They too will be leaving tomorrow but they stopped by to confirm their decision to go from their conversion van to the Winnebago View. They received the inside tour and they loved it. And yes...MB...they made to the Hall of Fame.
Met a very friendly couple from Florida camping three sites down the road, Rick and Jan. They too will be leaving tomorrow but they stopped by to confirm their decision to go from their conversion van to the Winnebago View. They received the inside tour and they loved it. And yes...MB...they made to the Hall of Fame.
| Rick and Jan |
Day 8 8/23/17
Vehicle restrictions prevented me from passing 711 E. Haymore Street in Mt. Airy, Andy's home from 1935 to 1966. I went to the Internet for many of the following photos. At 711 E. Haymore Street, it is now a Bed & Breakfast run my the Hampton Inn and you can get a room there for about $150/night depending.
| I knew I was close. |
![]() |
| 711 E. Haymore Street. Now a B&B. |
![]() |
| Back Porch |
![]() |
| Back Yard |
![]() |
| The home is now a Bed & Breakfast run by the Hampton Inn and you can get a room there for about $150/night according to Trip Advisor. |
I was able to park at the Andy Griffith Museum. An $8.00 admission fee and photos for my mother. After all, I was in Mt. Airy and Mayberry, how could I not, right?
| Sheriff's desk with video clips; here with significant other, Helen Crump. |
| A beautiful hand painted mural gives background for selfies. |
| From the garage; but a closer look... |
| ...will make your jaw drop. |
![]() |
| You can even grab a tour of Mayberry in the Sheriff's car. |
![]() |
| Elizabeth Ann Theresa "Betty" Lynn (Thelma Lou), Barney's girlfriend celebrates her 91st birthday on August 29th. Still makes appearance to autograph photos. |
Then, on to Bunker Road and the Mayberry Campground.
![]() |
| Family owned campground was beautiful; about 7 miles out of town. |
| I knew as soon as I approached the campground that this was going to be special; beautifully landscaped and lawn neatly trimmed. |
| Looks like it's all nestled in a valley; the distant view of mountains reminded me of New York State. |
| Definitely big rig friendly but not a shade tree in sight. |
| My awning, on site #2, is my shade. By the shadow you can see the sun is setting west on the driver's side. |
| My view. Well laid out, spacious sites and not a stitch of shade. I'm here until Saturday. |
Thanks for joining me. Next stop Saturday, the Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA in Broadway, VA
ARACHNOPHOBES can stop reading here. The rest of you nature lovers can scroll down to see a spider...big deal.
The photo of an interesting spider below; as I stare at it again, I count only six legs; the little fella is supposed to have eight:
The Rabid Wolf Spider is easily confused with other wolf spiders and also Nursery Web spiders and Funnel Weaver Spiders. It can be identified by its stripe pattern. The cephalothorax (front body section) has two dark stripes. The abdomen( rear body section) has one dark stripe surrounded by two pale lines. The female, which is larger than the male, can have a body length (not counting legs) of almost an inch. The male's body is usually about half an inch. Wolf spiders do not build webs to catch prey. They do weave silk to build a shelter, or to build a sac to carry eggs in. Rabid Wolf Spiders hunt their food at night, ambushing prey or using their speed. This brownish-yellow spider camouflages well with dead leaves and bark .They eat mostly insects. When Rabid Wolf Spiders breed, the male does a sort of "dance", by waving its pedipalps (large leg-like mouthparts). He also makes a noise. When the female lays eggs, she builds a silk egg sac to carry them in. She attaches the sac to her abdomen. When spiderlings (baby spiders) hatch, they ride on her back until they are old enough to be on their own. Rabid Wolf Spiders can be seen in woods, meadows, or anywhere there are leaves. If captured, they will bite, but they are not considered dangerous. If you see them at night with a flashlight, their eyes will reflect light.
Credit: SPIDERZRULE WEB SITE













Thanks for the fun, Charlie. Loved the ride with you. We are up in Plattsburg, NY till next week. Love Lake Champlain and Quebec.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome John. That entire northern NYS/Canada is a whole other bucket list of mine. Gotta live another 100 years I think to do it all. See you in Sept
DeleteThanks for sharing! Sounds like a wonderful trip!
ReplyDeleteThanks. It has been and, sad to say, it's all coming to an end. Will try to continue into the fall depending on which campgrounds remain open after 10/31.
ReplyDeleteWill try to stop when you get settled in to Croton Point Park. Enjoyed Mayberry and the unusual spider. M
ReplyDeleteThere's two Tuesdays that look like the best time for me to be there. Check before coming down.
ReplyDelete