Day 26 8/2/17
The drive from the Parkview RV park to Jim Hogg Park in Georgetown was the longest, the flattest, the scrubbiest, the straightest and the loneliest drive of the trips I've taken. Thank goodness for Chuck; not that all we did was talk but the company was a big help. There was very little evidence of civilization along this part of the trip.
![]() |
| Texas is B-I-G. The distance we traveled between El Paso and Jim Hogg State Park was about the same as driving from NewYork to Beaufort, SC. |
| This engineering feat baffles the imagination. |
| And Mother Nature's engineering also baffles the mind. No other structure around, it stands alone. |
We finally arrived at Jim
Hogg Park. The park sits on the north side of Georgetown Lake in the Hill Country of
Texas, about 25 miles north of Austin .
Lake Georgetown
is a reservoir on the north fork of the San
Gabriel River
in central Texas .
The dam was completed by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1979 to provide flood
control and water supply for the nearby community of Georgetown .
It now provides countless recreation opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts.
Great site facing reservoir. James
Stephen "Big Jim" Hogg (March 24, 1851 – March 3,
1906) was an American lawyer and statesman, and the 20th Governor of Texas. He
was born near Rusk, Texas .
| The view from my campsite with the earthen dam seen as the horizon. The total area of the lake is 2 square miles |
![]() |
| The other side of the earthen dam of Lake Georgetown. |
![]() |
| Beep Beep...a Road Runner |
![]() |
| Mule Deer...a real pest. They're seen everywhere including people's front yard munching on their landscaping. Not good. |
| View looking straight across from my site. |
Wednesday
night, Chuck went into Austin and met a former manager and his wife, residents of Austin, for dinner. Pat and Marty stopped by the campsite with all the
ingredients for a pre-dinner happy hour. It was my introduction to one of the
many Texan IPAs. I
think they have a convert. We then went to Georgetown
for dinner at Gumbo's.
Check out the dinner menu offerings HERE
And so ended a perfectly full and delicious day. This blog took me five days to complete. The pleasure of Chuck's company has kept me busy day and night and I just never had the time to sit, compose and detail all that I experienced. If it weren't for Chuck, I would never have done or visited the places I did. And thanks to Pat and Marty, my adventures into Georgetown itself made for more memories I shall forever enjoy. As everyone knows, this trip is more than special to me because I was with my son. With all the photos and memories bubbling in my brain, I decided to change my routine of detailing two days before posting. I will post each day while I was in Georgetown. There's just too much to read in a sitting. My trips to Austin, the State Capitol, Inner Space Caverns and activities with Pat and Marty have photo galleries I cannot place in a blog. My future blogs will have some sample shots with links for the reader to see the rest if they so choose.
And a big thank you to those readers who commented on my FB page. I'll be posting this blog there as well and now, in Arkansas, I'll work on my next day in Georgetown.
| Marty and Pat with Lake Georgetown in the background |
| The drive into Georgetown greeted us with some threatening weather. Gumbo's is located just about where that car in the distance is. |
![]() |
| Gumbo's was an excellent choice situated right on the corner and offered outdoor seating on the second floor balcony. |
| You can see the railing surrounding the balcony where we chose to dine outside..... |
| ...despite the looming glooming. P.S. A drop of two fell but that was it. We stuck it out. |
| Someone's opinion: "Nearly opaque bright dark medium color. Bright, buttery aromas and flavors of coconut buttercream, berry custard tart, and honeyed peppercorns with an oily, vibrant, dryish medium-full body and a warming, complex, medium-length creme brulee, roasted nuts, and earth finish with chewy tannins and moderate oak. A robust, very structured, flavor-packed malbec-led red blend." For me? Smooth and delicious with my tenderloin of beef. |
| TENDERLOIN with pepper jack cheese and fried onions served over honey chipotle vinegar and avocado corn relish. |
And a big thank you to those readers who commented on my FB page. I'll be posting this blog there as well and now, in Arkansas, I'll work on my next day in Georgetown.









Wow, Charlie you brought back memories of my trip from Lackland, (San Antonio) AFB to Shepard AFB in Wichita Falls TX, back in the 60's. Eight hours on the ricky-rack non air-conditioned bus was the pits for scenery. No eye candy. A stop every two hours for physiological needs and drinks Nothing but as you describe: Miles of scrub. I thought we were on Mars.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the blog and the pics. Gumbo's looks good. Yummy. Stay well and stay safe. J&M
Pat and Marty look great! God bless..,..I'm so glad you were able to met up with them and take in the local atmosphere. The road you described sounds like many throughout the west. I always wondered how (and why) the pioneers made that trek in wagons. Amazing.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you got to spend so much time alone and conversing with Chuck. Wonderful father-son adventure.
Continued safe travels.